3. Describe your relationship with your parents.
I have a GREAT relationship with my parents.
It did not start out so great though. When I was 4 my parents got divorced. I have ALWAYS been a Mommy's girl. My mom and I have always had a really close relationship. My mom is the one who raised me. My dad wasn't around much growing up. I have always had a little resentment with him for that. It wasn't until high school that my dad started to get more involved in our relationship and I think it really turned a corner after I got married. My dad and I now have a very close and strong relationship.
I talk to both of my parents at least once a day and most days we talk 3-5 times. My dad lives right down the street from us, so he stops by a lot in the afternoons and hangs out with me and the kids. We get together several times a week for lunch. I get together every weekend with my mom. She comes to the house and plays with the kids or we will go shopping.
My mom has been the biggest cheerleader for me. She has always supported what I was doing. We have so much in common and we often fight because of how alike we are. I have seen a lot of my mom in myself since becoming a mother. I know as a young teen I used to tell myself that I would NEVER become my mother but now that the roles are reversed I am so lucky to even be half of the women/mother she was. She gives the best advice and even to this day she is ALWAYS right. I love how much she loves my kids and my husband.
My dad always makes me laugh. He is such a wonderful Grandpa. I know in my heart of hearts that my dad would lay down his life for my children. I know that if anything were to happen to Kevin or I, my dad would be there for them. My dad is very giving and doesn't ask for anything in return. He is VERY creative and I get all my artsy fartsy-ness from him. I love the random "heartfelt" conversations we have. I also love that just recently my dad finally admitted that if he could go back and redo my childhood he would. I appreciate him saying that and accepting what he did wrong. I feel like I can now let go of some of that resentment towards him.
I may not have had a picture perfect relationship with my parents growing up and we still have our disagreements but I love where we are and I wouldn't change a thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.