My mom had been sick all last week. It came out of nowhere. She started feeling achy and had the chills. She called out of work on Wednesday which is unusual for her. She went for a half a day on Thursday and called out again on Friday. On Thursday night I went with her to Urgent Care. The doctor said she thought it was just a virus that would need to run its course but she wanted to go ahead and get a chest x-ray just to be on the safe side. My mom went back for the chest x-ray and then we waited for the results. The doctor came in the room and told us that we were good to go home and just treat the symptoms she had. Friday evening she got a call from one of the doctors there at Urgent Care. They told her that there was a nodule on her upper left lung that looked suspicious. They wanted her to come back in to get some more x-rays.
It wasn't until Sunday when my mom and I got together that she told me about this. My first thought was CANCER. How could my mom have cancer. She is so healthy and fit and has never smoked a day in her life. I was
worried, terrified. My mind started to race. I started thinking about how my kids are not going to grow up with their Mimi. Karsyn is still so young that she won't really remember who my mom was. How can I live in a world that my mom does not live in. I knew that it could quite possibly not be cancer but it still didn't help that it could BE cancer.
Sunday and Monday were the longest days of my life. I can't imagine what they were for my mom and she has known longer then I have. Tuesday she got the call from her doctors office. They had finally gotten her results in. The x-rays showed there was nothing there! Thank the Lord. My mom called me at about 8:15am to tell me the news. I was still in bed at that time and typically I would probably be mad that she would even think to call us at that time but I was so relieved. I asked her if they said what the spot on the first x-ray could have been and she said she didn't even ask. At this point she didn't care to know.
This whole experience has made me realize that we are not all promised tomorrow. I don't want to take any of this time I have with my family for granted. I am so glad that my kids will get to know their Mimi for a long, long time. I get to have my best friend for a long time.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.