Saturday, January 5, 2013

No Bake Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

As my husband was getting things ready for tomorrow morning he noticed that we are in need of groceries. I usually go shopping on Saturday's, but today was spent cleaning the house so I did not get the opportunity to go. He mentioned to me (as if saying, I needed to figure out something to do to fix the issue) that he didn't know what he was going to feed the kids for breakfast. Let me just mention that although my hubby needs for me to make decisions for him (okay, well he knows that my decision is the "right" decision, so that is why he needs me to make them for him.) but anyways, although I do that, he is the best husband ever. He lets me sleep in on the weekends. He gets up with the kids and does breakfast and plays with them so I can have a little extra shut eye. So tonight as he was getting things ready and blah, blah, blah we were looking for something to feed the kids. We are all out of bread and all out of waffles but I did remember we had oats in the pantry. I also remember that I had pinned a recipe for granola bars on Pinterest. The light bulb in my head came on and I quickly got to work on finding all the ingredients. After a few minutes of looking, Voila! I had all my ingredients. The recipe was so easy and quick to make. As I was making them I was thinking about all the fun and yummy things you could add to them. Because mine were a spur of the moment thing, I just did chocolate chip. You could add raisins, marshmallows, nuts, or whatever else you or your child might like. They took about 5 minutes to make and then another 2 hours to cool and harden. They are really good, better then store bought! Here is the recipe if you would like to try them. Oh and for those of you wondering, this is what my kids will be eating tomorrow morning along with some yogurt! Enjoy!!!

1/4 c. butter
1/4 c honey
1/3 packed brown sugar
2 c cooking oats (not rolled)
1 cup rice krispie cereal
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c chocolate chips (or whatever ingredient you would like to put in)

In a small saucepan, bring the butter, honey, and brown sugar to a boil. Lower the heat and let cook for 2 minutes. While this is going on, combine the oats and the rice krispies in a big bowl. When the brown sugar mixture is done, add in the vanilla an stir. Pour over the oats and rice krispies. Make sure you coat the oats and rice krispies evenly. Pour the mixture onto a lightly greased jelly roll pan 12x8x1 pan. If you have a bigger pan then just cover half or the pan. Make sure it is packed together tightly. You want them to stick together very well. Sprinkle your fun ingredients on top and press them down lightly. Let these sit for 2 hours or if you make these at night, let them sit until morning. Then enjoy!

Here is a link to the blog this recipe is from. No Bake Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.