Thursday, January 10, 2013

Jesus Take The Wheel

As Karsyn and I were in the car waiting to pick up Kaden from school, I gave her a packet of fruit gummy snacks. She was getting a little antsy and we had a few more minutes to wait and I knew the gummies would hold her over until Kaden got in the car and we started driving again. Both of my kids are greedy eaters, they are picky and don't usually eat a lot but when they do eat, they eat as though they will never eat again. They shove everything into their mouth and basically just swallow. There is no chewing. When Kaden was younger, we used to have to keep an eye on him when he ate because he would swallow his food whole and then choke on it. We now have to do the same with Karsyn because she is just like her big brother. I gave her the gummies and I could her hear eating them and making noises so I turned around for a bit. As I turned back around to check and see if Kaden's class was walking out I saw that she had her hands in her mouth as if trying to grab something at the back of her throat. Her face was bright red and her lips were starting to turn purple. My immediate thought was to jump back in the backseat and help her. I could not get her out of her car seat quick enough. I think because I was so scared I got her out faster then I could blink. The person next to me probably was wondering what in the hell was going on inside my car. I was terrified, I didn't know if I should scream for help and what I should have done. I was trying to undo her car seat straps with one hand while I used the other hand to pat on her back to try to dislodge the gummy. Meanwhile she was still trying to grab at the gummy with her fingers. Poor thing, she was so brave. I think I panicked more then she did. She was so calm in the moment and went into survivor mode. I am actually pretty surprised at how well I coped with it. I stayed pretty calm. Typically Kevin is home with something happens (Nothing happens on my watch! Are you kidding, I'm SUPER mom) phessh!!! So typically Kevin is the rational one and I am the sobbing mess one asking over and over "Is everything okay, is he/she okay?" like a broken record. But today, I was alone. I had to think alone and act alone. I think I did pretty good. I think with her trying to grab the gummy with her fingers and me patting on her back helped the gummy dislodge and she basically coughed/gaged it up. My first instinct was to throw the packet of gummies out the window which then made her cry. She didn't cry because she had just had a close call with death but because I would not let her have the gummies back. Go figure! I gave her a binky and that helped calm her down. I then had to go get Kaden from the spot where his teacher brings them out. I left Karsyn in the car like I usually do. (car turned on of course). When Kaden and I returned a minute later, she was laughing and saying Hi to her bubba like nothing had happened. I think all of the excitement of the day made her a little wound up because she did not want to take a nap this afternoon which made for a not so pleasant evening. As I sit here tonight and type out the big event of the day I realize that no matter how unpleasant our evening was, I am so grateful that I got to spend this evening with my baby girl. "What if" that gummy had not come out of her throat? She may not be here tonight, sleeping like a little angel in her room. I thank God for letting me have another "unpleasant" evening with her!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.