My tiny tot started out with a slight speech delay. He was pretty behind at 18 months and we took him to a speech therapist to help him and us to get him caught up to where he needed to be. We quickly realized that a lot of his problem had to do with the way we were teaching him. Instead of having him say things to us we would ask to show us I guess instead! For example to kinda clear that sentence up for those confused...When we would read him a book, instead of saying Kaden what color is this, or what kind of animal is this and have him TELL us, we would say Kaden WHERE is the blue ball, WHERE is the cow? So he would point instead of speak! Do ya get it now?? So we were not helping him develop in the speech department. We only had to go to the speech therapist twice and we noticed a drastic change. He was speaking words we didn't even know he knew. Now he is a talkative little fella and it actually becomes a task to get him to just be quiet for even a second. But he says the cutest stuff sometimes.
My dad has a garden in his back yard and has the best home grown red potatoes. He brings them to us when he gets a whole bunch and we like to cut the up and season them and cook them in a little bit of butter until they have a nice golden brown crispiness to them. Yummy!!! But anyways back to the story. He brought us a big bag full of potatoes and first thing Kaden says is BALL. Anything round he thinks is a ball lol. We say No Kaden those are potatoes. He says ta-toes?? We say Yes, those are Papa's Potatoes. He says Papa ta-toes?? We say Yes Papa's Ta-toes. Now when we have potatoes, any kind for that matter...Potato chips, mashed potatoes, you name it, Kaden says Papa ta-toes?
He is also picking up on words that I say a lot in conversation with other people. I know its bad but anytime I get in the car the phone is immediately attached to my ear. I am either on the phone with my mom or my dad or sometimes Kevin if he is not busy at work. Usually Kaden is singing or talking to himself or watching a DVD while I have my conversation so I don't think he is listening to me but as soon as my conversation ends and I say Bye to that person Kaden is saying BYE right after me. But he prolongs the E so it sounds more like bye-eeee. I had to return some pants to Old Navy the other day and I was also meeting my mom at the mall and I thought that I could return my pants (actually I was exchanging them for a BIGGER size, I mean I did just have a baby 2 months ago geez! LOL) and get to the mall to meet my mom within 10 minutes wile lugging both babies with me. Karsyn was asleep in her carrier and I didn't want to take her out and risk waking her and having her cry and I also didn't want to take out the huge limo stroller we have (i.e the double stroller) just to go in to exchange something really quick. So I thought that Kaden should do good holding my hand, I could just carry the infant seat and hold Kaden's hand while looking for my size and exchanging the pants. Yeah, right...Just saying that makes me stressed and tired. But I'm supermom remember?! I get into Old Navy and I cannot find the pants anymore, so I thought that maybe they had moved them. Kaden and I walk to the back of the store looking at each rack as we pass the to see if the pants had been moved but I still didn't see them. I decided I would just ave to choose something else to exchange them for so I found the closest table with shorts on them and started to look for my size. Meanwhile Kaden thinks the table is a jungle gym and started to crawl all over it. I could not for the life of me contain him. He had gotten himself underneath the table and would not come out. I said FINE I am going to leave you here thinking that if I walked away a little bit he would come running after me. No Instead of running after me, he yells bye-eee....then repeats it with bye-ee mommy!!! I couldn't help but laugh.
Oh and if you are wondering if I made it to the mall in time to meet my mom the answer is......
NO, I called her to have her meet me at Old Navy and then we went to the mall LOL. BUT she was walking in as we were walking out so I think we would have been on time!!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.