Tuesday, August 7, 2012
Terrifying Tantrums
Karsyn has always been a tantrum thrower. She takes after her mama. She likes to be the center of attention and she likes getting her way. What kid doesn't. Usually in a normal child (non diva like) the child will pitch a mild fit and then be done with it. Not my little girl. A week ago I was picking up the kids bathroom and she was in the room with me. She started getting into the cabinet with the towels and bath tissue and baby soaps. I quickly snatched her up before she could make a huge mess and I took her into Kaden's room where I started to pick up again. She immediately started kicking and screaming because I was removing her from her fun. I didn't think anything of it and I placed her down in Kaden's room and started to ignore the tantrum like I usually do. I had my back to her an she had stopped crying. I turned around to see what she was doing and I noticed that her face an her lips were purple, she was starting to stumble over to the side as if she was drunk. I quickly ran over to her because I knew she was about to fall over and maybe pass out. I was screaming her name and blowing in her face. She would not take a breath. She started to shake, almost convulsing as if having a seizure. Her eyes started to roll in the back of her head. She finally took a breath and started to cry again. All of this lasted only seconds if not a minute or two but it seemed like half an hour to me. I was terrified. Luckily this time my dad was over and he came running in asking me what was going on. I have heard of kids holding their breath until they pass out before and many do it for attention from their parents. Although I was scared about what had happened I brushed it off thinking it was a one time thing. A few days later Karsyn and Kaden were playing in the living room while I was washing dishes in the kitchen. Our house is an open floor plan so you can see straight from the kitchen into the dining room and then the living room. I could see them playing as always I have to watch them carefully because they don't always tend to play "nice". Kaden came up and took away a stuffed animal that Karsyn is obsessed with. It was Kaden's once upon a time but Karsyn has taken it over. This threw Karsyn into a raging fit. She was crying and screaming. I kept telling Kaden to give it back to her so she would stop crying. When I got over to her to try to sooth her she was already on the floor on her stomach, face and lips purple yet again. She started to shake as if having a seizure yet again. This time she threw up and had diarrhea at the same time. I got her to breath and I held her close to me until she calmed down. It takes a while before she finally calms down from these "episodes". When she does finally come out of it she is completely fine! This doesn't happen any other time then when she is throwing a tantrum. After that second episode I called the doctor. We already had her 15 month wellness visit scheduled for the next day (which was today) so I was able to talk about it with her doctor. Her doctor said the holding of the breath is normal and the child will start breathing again once he/she passes out. She didn't seem to concerned about the other symptoms either but she did refer us to a neurologist just to reassure us that there is nothing wrong with Karsyn. We go to that appointment on the 24th. I really doubt there is anything neurologically wrong and I am sure this is just something she does from getting so worked up. She is a really high strung little girl. I just know that we will have to keep her from getting so worked up so that she does not have her little episodes. I just don't want her to become spoiled rotten an think she can do this to get her way when she is older. We never had to go through any of this with Kaden. I just pray he doesn't catch on and then we have them both doing this. Honestly, I would probably let them just pass out and walk out lol! I'm kidding I wouldn't! ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.